Monday, April 13, 2009

Tomato and Pepper seedlings


I've got the peppers and tomatos started reasonably well, but they are sitting near the end of the grow lights, and the plants are reaching for the light. I'm thinking about putting both light fixtures up on this shelf, or trying them on the lower shelf. They are right on schedule though, about a week and half since planting.
I've got one mixed packet of sweet bell peppers, one packet of sweet banana peppers, and one packet of Biker Billy Hybrid hot peppers. For tomatos I went with Sweet Millions and Roma, both of which I have had great luck with in the past.
I'm not expecting to transplant anything until close to Memorial Day weekend. Sweetie (that's the guy partner) and I discussed the options of removing sod and using it other places in the yard or just getting a serious tiller to bust the sod on the new plot for us. We're all about gardening with less physical labor, since he works a very physically demanding job all week and I have knee problems that get aggravated when I try to dig "just one more shovel" too much. I have done a good amount of double-digging, and I don't find it exhilarating. Anyhoo, the verdict is still out on the sod.
I'll be contacting some listers on craigslist for tilling services one way or the other. I would have preferred to have done all of this last fall, and tilled in some manure to rot, but time and money didn't work out that way.
I have a garden along side my house that produced a few cantaloupes and some tomatoes for us last year. That one was a whim, just poking a few seeds in for the melons, at first. Then my tomato plants that I planted in January when I was pining for spring and warm weather got stuck in the dirt too, and they made 'maters. I put our kitchen vegetable waste on the little plot, coffee grounds, egg shells, peelings, etc. I also watered with epsom salt solutions occasionally. I'll use this plot again, but I'll be planting things from different plant families there for rotation purposes. The planned layout includes sunflowers against the house, kohlrabi, spinach, some beans, and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment