Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fluffing and buffing the garden...


I finally got out to the garden today to rake back the mulch and see how things were underneath. I found happy earthworms, and soft, workable soil. We're still get temps down in the 30's at night here, so I'm not planting much yet, but I did get the spinach seeds stuck in the ground. The patch of dead leaves there between the rock and the house is where I planted the spinach, in about a 3' x 4' plot. I'll put wax bush beans in the long skinny part next to the side walk, and kohlrabi in front of the rock. The pile of leaves will get tucked back over seeds once I plant. I'm hoping the spinach will have a chance to get established before squirrels or bunnies find it. 
That same small area supported three tomato plants that got pr
etty big last year, and a bunch of melon plants that stretched over the sidewalk. This walk isn't used much, but I had to keep pulling them back so the nice man who mows our lawn wouldn't have to fuss with them. We got six delicious melons, and enough tomatoes to make a large pot of sauce, plus the ones we ate. 

This is the asparagus bed I put in last year. We let it get established, didn't pick any of course, and mulched with kitchen waste and leaves. I fluffed the mulch today, an
d peeked to see if any asparagi (if asparagus means the whole lot of them, then
 asparagi would be individuals, right?) were
 poking up through the dirt.






 I did the happy dance when I found two little white nubs about an inch up! Now I'll have to watch them, so we don't miss out on the short crop this year. Next year we can pick the full 6 weeks... sorry the photo was a little out of focus. I was shooting on telephoto setting, the wind was picking up and I was trying to balance while squatting next to the bed. Not the prime conditions for close up photos...
Incidentally, I know it's asparagus season, because it was on sale at the store, so I got some. The bottoms were a bit woody, but I steamed it upright with a foil tent around it till jus the tips were tender. I melted butter on the serving plate, gently rolled the spears over in it to coat, then squeezed a little key lime juice over it. The lime juice gave it a sweet tart flavor and a beautiful top note in the first taste of it in my mouth. Loved it! Now I'm really impatient for our own...

I'm really going to have get Sweetie to help me measure the other spot for the "End Garden" meaning the one at the end of the garage, just past the asparagus bed.  We have the property stake to go by,  and I don't think the next door neighbor will fuss if I'm over just a bit, but I was brought up to respect property lines and not intrude, even if its only a foot of lawn space. We'll be talking to him before we break ground anyway. I'm concerned more about how much space I'll actually have so that I don't try to plan too many plants into it. 
We have a large space of lawn on the other side of the house, but it's shaded by two 60 foot maple trees. Eventually they will come down because they are beginning to deteriorate and their trunks don't appear to be very healthy anymore. We've had to take another one down already, and found it hollowed out by ants, which we weren't thrilled about. This side of the house where I'm planting gets sun most of the day with no shade, so I have to make the best use of what I have. I've thought about putting containers all down the drive way, because the garage has it's own drive way and we don't have to use this one. Sweetie began to object when I suggested this, siting water consumption, outward appearance, etc. I decided not to push it...

No comments:

Post a Comment