Sunday, March 22, 2009

I planted the seeds!

Last fall, Sweetie and I took a walk around our tiny town, and at the public library, a planting of day lilies was going to seed. Most of the pods were brown and just beginning to burst, and I could see the shiny, plump black seeds inside. I began stripping the seeds with one hand into the other, and Sweetie asked what the heck I was doing. I explained it all to him.
"Will they grow?" he asked.
"That's the plan," I said, not having a clue how day lilies like to be treated. Hmmm, something to google...which we did when we got home. I found instructions on eHow.com.
Day lilies need a cold and damp spell to sprout, then light and warmth to continue sprouting and growing. To be ready to deal with more harsh springtime conditions here in the Great Lakes area, they need an early indoor artificial spring that is a little gentler, provided by 3 months in a ziplock bag with some water in my refrigerator.

I had doubts as I checked on them through the winter and saw no changes, just plump black seeds, but I left them alone. Today, as we were looking through seed catalogues and being annoyed with the prices of established bulbs, I remembered the seeds. I went and looked again, and shrieked, "THEY SPROUTED! The seeds, the day lilies, the red ones, THEY SPROUTED!"
So, we pulled out the bag of seed starting mix and the pressed peat 12-section flat, and went to work. As Sweetie says, he's not usually about "grubbling in the dirt" but doing it together is more fun if we don't have to do it the hard way. He's looking forward to seeing what happens with the day lilies, since I have never grown them from seed before and don't know if they will make it. Whether they do or not, we will continue to save seed from various places and keep things growing. I saved seed from all of the best melons we grew last year as well, and hopefully we will get some good ones from those too. Hard to say, the plants were from a mixed packet of melon seeds, so I don't know what was hybrid and what wasn't. Could be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment